Innovative retinal imaging device turns smartphones into portable ophthalmoscopes
The D-EYE Retinal Imaging System is an innovative device that converts a smartphone into a portable, easy-to-use, affordable, and effective fundus camera.
The D-EYE device is a smartphone-sized case that fits onto an Apple iOS or Android phone. The D-EYE fundoscope lens is positioned over the smartphone’s camera and LED light source, enabling the phone to capture high definition video and still images of the fundus of the eye. The D-EYE app installed on the smartphone allows the user to store and manage patient information.
The D-EYE Retinal Imaging System offers:
- Field of view up to 20 degrees
- Easy viewing of optic nerve head, even without dilating eye drops, for detecting glaucoma
- Diabetic retinopathy screening and grading
- Hypertensive retinopathy screening and grading
- Age-related macular degeneration screening
- Cataract diagnosis and grading
- Visual acuity testing for adults and children
- Ability to record multiple images or videos
- Optional private and secure cloud-based storage system
- No additional external power or lighting source required
The D-EYE Retinal Imaging System was invented by Dr Andrea Russo to improve accessibility to medical screenings for people in need. The convenience and portability of the device is especially valuable for examining bed-ridden patients, children and infants. According to Dr Russo, “The D-EYE retinal screening system can be used by a variety of health professionals ranging from ophthalmologists, neurologists, general practitioners, emergency physicians and pediatricians, to school nurses and others. The system offers a quick, accurate and inexpensive way to examine the human eye and identify a variety of health conditions.”
The D-EYE Retinal Imaging System is currently compatible with iPhone 5, 5S, and 6, or Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5.
By: Dr Joanne Teong